If your interested in building a website you need software to create a website. I made a list of software to build a website including the features. To use this software you need a web space to create a website. The most experience i have with Wordpress and its one of the most commonly used open source software.
About open source webshop software I made another article.
Drupal is a free open source Content Management System (CMS) developed in PHP. CMS, is a web application designed to make it easy for non-technical users to add, edit and manage a website. Drupal is free to download and there get help with the installation via user forums.
With Drupal you through the modular flexible design simple personal weblogs to complex e-commerce and marketing sites to expand.
Drupal is used by many companies and supported. International and Greenpeace MTV.uk include users of Drupal.
Drupal has a very active group of users who can advise and assist with any questions.
- forums work
- Uploading and downloading files
- extensive Content Management System
- photo galleries
- common writing texts
- support for blogs
- manage and send newsletters
XOOPS started as a portal system, but grows into a full content management system like Drupal and Joomla. It can be used as a basis for small, medium and large sites.
XOOPS Lite is a personal weblog or journal used. You can use them after a normal installation of the module such news. For a medium site, modules like News, Forum, Download, etc. Sections are used to form a community where each member can contribute their bit. For a large site, such as a company, can be used own modules. XOOPS is an ideal platform for integrating existing or new Web applications.
- database-driven. XOOPS uses a relational database (MySQL) to store data,
- fully modularized. The modules are easily installed, uninstalled, activated and deactivated,
- personal profiles. Registered users can change their profiles, select topics, upload avatars and much more,
- user management. Ability to use various criteria to search and e-mail and send private messages to users.
- global support. XOOPS and is made by a team of several hard-working volunteers around the world,
- comprehensive legal system. Powerful and user-friendly legal system that allows administrators to create rights for any part of any group or individual to adjust.
- theme based interface. XOOPS is a powerful theme system. Both administrators and users can change the website with a single click. There are over 200 themes available for download!
WordPress started as just a blogging system, but has evolved to be used as full content management system and so much more through the thousands of plugins, widgets, and themes, WordPress is limited only by your imagination. (And tech chops.)
- Full standards compliance
- No rebuilding — Changes you make to your templates or entries are reflected immediately on your site, with no need for regenerating static pages.
- WordPress Pages — Pages allow you to manage non-blog content easily
- WordPress Links — Links allow you to create, maintain, and update any number of blogrolls through your administration interface.
- WordPress Themes
- Cross-blog communication tools
- Comments — Visitors to your site can leave comments on individual entries, and through Trackback or Pingback can comment on their own site.
- Spam protection
- XML-RPC interface
- Easy Importing
- Password Protected Posts
- Easy installation and upgrades
Bluefish is a powerful editor targeted towards programmers and web designers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages, and it focuses on editing dynamic and interactive websites. See features for an extensive overview, take a look at the screenshots, or download it right away. Bluefish is an open source development project, released under the GNU GPL licence.
- Lightweight – Bluefish tries to be lean and clean, as far as possible given it is a GUI editor.
- Project support, enables you to work efficiently on multiple projects, and automatically restores settings for each project.
- Multi-threaded support for remote files using gvfs (depending on your gvfs setup, you’ll have FTP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, CIFS and more). 1
- Very powerful search and replace, with support for Perl Compatible regular expressions, sub-pattern replacing, and search and replace in files on disk.
- Snippets sidebar – specify custom dialogs, search and replace patterns or insert patterns and bind them to a shortcut key combination of your liking to speed up your development process
- Integrate external programs such as make, lint, weblint, xmllint, tidy, javac, or your own program or script to handle advanced text processing or error detection.
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- In-line spell checker which is programing language aware (spell check comments and strings, but not code), requires libenchant during compilation.
- Auto-recovery of changes in modified documents after a crash, kill or shutdown
- Character map of all unicode characters (requires libgucharmap during compilation)
- Upload / download synchronisation
- Full screen editing
- Many tools such as tabs to spaces, join lines, lines to columns, strip whitespace, etc. etc.
- Translations into 17 languages – and more are coming for the next releases
KompoZer is a complete Web Authoring System that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing capabilities found in Microsoft FrontPage, Adobe DreamWeaver and other high end programs.
KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding.
- an extended colorpicker
- FTP site manager
- Tabs – Have one window only on your screen and edit several documents at once, each document having its own Undo/Redo stack!
- CSS editorA dash of style(s) With KompoZer, right-click on any element in the hierarchical toolbar at the bottom of the window and set directly its style properties.
- Customizable toolbars
- Cleaner markup KompoZer contains some machinery to get rid of most of those annoying
- XFN When you create a new link to an external resource, or when you edit an existing link, you can now add XHTML Friends Network information to say that the owner of that resource is someone you know and trust.
- Visible marks >In a complex page layout, you often need to see visible carriage returns and block borders.
- Table/Cell resizing rulers
- Automated Spellchecker
TYPO3 is an open source content management system and therefore free to download. Typo3 can just as easily with other CMS systems, new data to your site via a web browser. You need the CMS system, but once installed on your server and then you can create and maintain your site without any knowledge of HTML required.
- a powerful search technology
- You can give different users different rights
- includes caching technology enabling faster pages load
- More than 33 languages
- all files and pages are displayed in the same way as Windows Explorer
- You can upload images directly, Typo3 makes them optimized for the web
- You can instantly add pages, delete or change of name
- many extensions available
- uses templates which you can easily modify
Joomla is free software that lets you easily create your own website. Within one hour you can make your own basic website, but you can extend a professional site. Additional functions can also be downloaded free from the Internet.
- Language manager
- Banner management
- Integrated Help System
- Template management
- Web services
- Menu manager
CMS Made Simple
CMS Made Simple allows quick and easy to set up a website and content management.
The software must be installed on a dedicated server but you can also hosting space with a hosting provider rents. This only a few dollars per month cost.
- SEO Friendly URLs
- Integrated and online help
- Modular and extensible
- Easy user and group management
- Group-based permission system
- Picture Album
- Accessibility WAI, WCAG, Section 508
- XHTML and CSS compliant
- Autogenerated menu
- Every page can have a different theme
- Design protected from content editors
MODx is an open source CMS system. This free content management system uses PHP, MySQL and Apache.
The CMS is designed to be as flexible as possible for the user. There are also additional SEO features to make the site easier to find through search engines like Google to make.
MODx has the following features:
- Unparalleled Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Flexible content
- Boardroom Friendly
- Total Creative Freedom
- Unparalleled Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Install Add-ons from Within the App
- Enterprise-class Security
Other software are: