GIMP is a photo editing program which is free and very comprehensive. GIMP means GNU Image Manipulation Program and was originally developed for Linux software, but for years also available for Windows and Mac. OSX can compete with Photoshop, the well-known and very expensive software. This is a very nice program for those who are not a professional graphic designer.
The program has great potential. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert photo editing program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image rendering, file format conversion tools and much more.
GIMP is expandable and scalable. It is designed to be expanded with plug-ins and extensions so you can do almost everything. The advanced scripting interface makes it possible for the user do everything from the simplest task to the most complete image manipulation procedures which can be scripted easily.
With GIMP you can make you own logos, buttons and images, the ability to draw are quite extensive. This tool you can use for example for your blog or website. You can work with layers and templates and there are dozens of filters and scripts available to make various effects. It’s possible to make light effects, shadows and certain styles on a picture, choose from various frames and borders. Another option is import images directly from your camera or scanner, or make a screenshot and edit it with GIMP.
Features and Capabilities
- Full suite of painting tools including brushes, a pencil, an airbrush, cloning, etc.
- Layers and channels
- Undo and Redo
- Smart memory management, so the maximum size of an image will determine only by available disk space.
- Own programming language “Script-Fu”.
- Different selection tools for editing rectangles etc.
- The ability to create your own scripts.
- Alpha channel support for working with transparency parts.
- Transformation tools including rotate, resize, flip and perspective correction.
- Interpolation between pixels by all the drawing tools which avoid the ugly stepped lines.
- Ability to filter, reading and writing modules for new file formats.
- Support for many file formats: GIF, JPEG, JPG, JPE, PNG, XCF, PSD, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP, XHTML, HTML, HTM, and much more.
- GNU/Linux (i386, PPC)
- Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista)
- Mac OS X
- Sun OpenSolaris
GIMP has many option and many of them are hidden and not easy to find. Sometimes it takes time to find them. It’s good to read the manuals and courses to learn more about the features. This software is free and can reach almost the level of Photoshop, for simple use is this program probably to complicated. Another free photo editing software are Picasa, PhotoFiltre Photoscape, FastStone Image Viewer and XnView .